To eradicate melanoma through the education of children and the community in the prevention and detection of skin cancer and the promotion of sun safety.
- Ultraviolet light is the primary cause of skin cancer.
- Children and young adults, who have unprotected sun exposure and sunburn, have a higher risk of developing skin cancer and melanoma (the most serious form of skin cancer) in adulthood.
- Melanoma is one of the most common cancers in people younger than 30.
- It is projected in 2005 that approximately 1 person will die every hour from skin cancer.
- One in five Americans will develop skin cancer during their lifetime.
- There has been a 10% increase in new cases of melanoma from 2004.
- Skin cancer can be cured if detected early!